czwartek, lutego 24, 2011

OT Książki: "The Jesus Inquest" Charles Foster

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this para-scientific book on – as the subtitle points out – the case for and against the resurrection of the Christ. I liked the premise of the book, which sets out to collect and present available material for both sides, leaving the reader with the responsibility for making the for or against decision.

Since Charles Foster, apart from being a writer, is also a barrister, the information he presents is laid out by two fictional parties, an X – being against the resurrection and a Y – a Christian counterpart and believer. This gives the author an opportunity to examine, much like in the court of law, the available evidence from both sides: prosecution and defense. And there is plenty of material – as we might surmise – to go through: archaeological, historical, as well as stemming from extrabiblical sources and Jewish traditions, etc. Contrary to what it could look like at the first glance, it makes the reading quite enjoyable and the process of arriving at one own conclusions – captivating.

While I thought I was pretty well versed in the evidence for Jesus’ resurrection, I still found the new material “against” very intriguing: access to documents, pictures and theses from the latest archeological discoveries shed new light on the arguments against resurrection and helped me formulate new apologetic insight. If the value of a book of this kind can be judged by the number of passages highlighted in color, my underlines, colors and side notes prove it to be a very good read.

I’m thankful to Thomas Nelson Publishing for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book.

Etykiety: ,